HealthInfoNet operates Maine’s health information exchange: a secure statewide computer system for doctors, hospitals, and other health care providers to share important health information and improve patient care.
What is HealthInfoNet?
- HealthInfoNet is a secure computer system used by doctors, hospitals, and other providers to share information in order to provide you with better and safer care
- The system brings your key medical information together into one electronic health record
- Providers already share your health records through fax, email, and mail. HealthInfoNet makes it easier, faster, and more secure
What information is in my HealthInfoNet record?
- Your HealthInfoNet record includes information about your health, prescription medicines, allergies, test results, x-rays, and reports
- It includes your name, date of birth, address, gender, phone number, and social security number (if you have one) to make sure your information is in the correct record
- Certain mental health and HIV/AIDS information is only included if you say it’s okay, or if you are in a medical emergency. Learn more about Your Choices or call 866-592-4352
What are the benefits of having a HealthInfoNet record?
- HealthInfoNet helps your health care providers work together to make informed decisions about your care, especially in an emergency
- Other benefits may include better quality care, fewer mistakes, fewer repeat tests, less paperwork, lower costs, and better health outcomes
What if I don’t want a HealthInfoNet record?
- If you do not want a HealthInfoNet record you may “opt-out”, or decide not to share your health information through HealthInfoNet
- HealthInfoNet will make your health information unavailable in the system and keep only certain demographic information like name and birth date, to make sure no health information is available for viewing. To opt-out, ask your health care provider for an “Opt-Out Form”. You can also complete the form online or call 866-592-4352 to opt-out by phone or mail
- If you decide later that you want a HealthInfoNet record, all you need to do is fill out an “Opt-In Form”. Your HealthInfoNet record will only include information from medical visits that happen after you opt back in. To opt back in, complete the form online or call 866-592-4352
Are my records private and secure?
- HealthInfoNet takes every action to keep your records private and secure. For detailed information, visit our Privacy and Security Practices
- Information is encrypted and sent over private and secure computer connections
- Information that identifies you won’t be sold or added to any mailing lists
- Only those involved in your health care can look at your record
- To request a report of who viewed your record and when, fill out the online audit request form or call 866-592-4352
- Of course, no electronic system is completely secure. If you feel the risk outweighs the benefit, you may opt-out
…I still want to know more.
To learn more about HealthInfoNet and the health information exchange check out our informational video below and download our brochure handout.